CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Leighton update, Wed. 11-5-08


Indiana Matthias turning lightswitches on and off.
Leighton was so happy to see her brother!

Matthias wasn't quite sure what to think
Playing in the crib together....

Leighton doesn't have to wear the hospital gown anymore, so she's in her own clothes, no wires.... she had pointed to the camera and said "cheese" while signing please...so I got it out to take some cute happy pictures of her.

Leighton began her medicine for TB yesterday. It's a crazy regiment of zantec for stomach acid, orapred for shrinking the enlarged lymph node, and 3 different antibiotics that she will have to take every day for the next six months. It's been a little crazy since being diagnosed with TB...we are definitely relieved that it isn't anything more serious, but now we're starting to realize that this diagnosis goes beyond her and even just our family, but it becomes a community issue. We've been talking to the Infectious Disease people, and they're talking to the Wauchula Health Dept and trying to figure out who needs to be tested. The deal is that it is highly unlikely for children to pass TB on...it's the adults that give it to the children and b/c kids can't cough real hard and have less of the bacteria than adults carry they are not as likely to give it to anyone else. But....we definitely need to cover all of our bases in terms of making sure that it stops with Leighton, although we have no idea where it started. I got a negative chest x-ray today, and Tom and the kids will have their skin tests read on friday to see if they are positive. I feel really bad that it's become a community thing....but am also realizing that there's no way that I could've known. The nurse we had today said that she's been in the hospital for 7 years and has never seen a child with TB. So...in all, things are well. We have a mat on the hospital room floor covered with a sheet that we're rolling around on and playing on. The child life dept. brings new videos and toys to play with whenever I ask. We have a highchair set up for meals and Leighton has gotten into a routine of napping and going to bed in her crib. She's definitely stir-crazy (as was I today)...we spent 45 minutes standing at our door looking out the window trying to get people passing by to play peek-a-boo. Basically they have us in still to moniter her breathing...they want to make sure that she's not in danger of having breathing issues when we get home. The tentative plan is to stay until monday or tuesday, have a chest x-ray and then hopefully be cleared to go home. She will have to stay home for the next week and a half while the antibiotics have a chance to make her not contagious anymore. We are grateful for all of your prayers and words of encouragement....thank you for walking through the craziness with us!! We are so glad at this outcome...funny, huh? Thanking God that Leighton has TB. I never would've thought I'd say that. :)

4 comments:

Angie said...

Sooooo thankful with you. I am praying for all the details that y'all now face. God is in the details became one of my mantras... and I'm praying you'll see His face more and more every day. Loving you from afar.

Jennifer Landress said...

You are absolutely right in saying you could not have known. I mean TB, who could have guessed that?

I am just so happy that little Leighton is going to be okay!

Jennifer L

Shannon said...

This is so great. Our whole bible study rejoiced tonight at God's answer to our requests. I know things are still hard for you all, so we'll keep praying. The hospital is probably starting to get real old.

Even my mom's been calling me from Atl to check on ya'll and get an update on Leighton. She promises to keep praying too, along with her sunday school class of women prayer warriors. Hang in there, Karen and Tom. We love you, and God is faithful. . .

Anonymous said...

Hey, we are still praying for you guys as you go back and forth from home to the hospital and for the other kids as their schedules have been a little nuts.

We are very thankful for you guys and even more thankful to God for taking such good care of you all during this craziness.

Miss ya
KB